Manorhamilton was founded by Sir Frederick Hamilton after he was granted 5,000 acres of land as part of the Plantation of Leitrim. Between 1634 and 1636 he built what is today known as Manorhamilton Castle, which gives the town its name. It is seen as one of a group of six in Ireland which feature defensive flanking towers in each corner. The castle withstood attacks in 1641 during the Irish Rebellion but was later taken and burned by the Earl of Clanrickard in 1652. Guided tours are available
This project received grant aid from Leitrim Local Community Development Committee under the Rural Development Programme which is financed by the Irish Government under the Rural Development Programme Ireland 2014-2020 and by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in Rural Areas.