Creevelea Abbey is a Franciscan Friary founded in 1508 by Margaret O’Brian and Owen O’ Rourke, Lord of Breifne.
This monastery, of the Franciscan third order, was one of the last abbey’s founded in Ireland before King Henry VIII dissolved all the monasteries throughout Ireland and England. It was in use until the 17th century when the Franciscans were forced to leave by the Cromwellian army.
The remains of this extensive friary include the church, the cloister and domestic buildings. The tower, which stands above the church, was converted for use as living quarters in the 17th century and it would originally have served as a bell-tower. At one point in its later history the church was roofed with thatch. There is also a cloister that features interesting stone carvings, including one of Saint Francis of Assisi preaching to birds. The nave, choir, tower and transept are well preserved and it is now protected as a national monument.
Access to Creevelea Abbey
Creevelea Abbey is located on the edge of the town of Dromahair, access to the Abbey is on the R287, the abbey is signed on the right, just out of town.