The Homestead may only be accessed by contacting Kiltyclogher Heritage Centre (Thursday-Saturday 10am-4pm).
The Seán MacDiarmada Homestead
This traditional homestead is in the townland of Corranmore just a few kilometres outside the village of Kiltyclogher. It consists of a three-roomed thatched cottage with some thatched out-buildings and has a fine view over Upper Lough MacNean. The Homestead is maintained in its original condition as a National Monument by the OPW. Visitors have the choice of simply viewing the house or having a full guided tour.
1916 Tour of the Seán MacDiarmada House
Visit the home of Easter Rising leader Seán MacDiarmada.
Seán MacDiarmada played a pivotal role in planning the Easter Rising of 1916. He was one of the seven signatories that signed the Proclamation of Irish Independence. Following his arrest after the Rising he was court-martialled and executed by firing squad on 12th of May 1916 in the Stone-Breaker’s Yard in Kilmainham Gaol.
The full tour begins at Kiltyclogher Heritage Centre and includes a visit to the MacDiarmada exhibition, a talk at the iconic MacDiarmada monument and a visit to the cottage in which he was born in nearby Corranmore. This is a must for anyone interested in the Rising.
Tour duration is minutes approximately 45 minutes.
- Tour starts at Kiltyclogher Heritage Centre and then moves on to the MacDiarmada House in Corranmore.
- Last tour is at 3pm.
- Visitors are responsible for their own transportation to the MacDiarmada House in Corranmore (4.6km from Kiltyclogher village).
- The MacDiarmada House is not wheelchair accessible.
- Public toilet facilities are available in the Heritage Centre and at the MacDiarmada House site.
The Seán MacDiarmada’s Homestead
- Homestead may only be accessed by contacting Kiltyclogher Heritage Centre which opens 10am-4pm (Last tour 3pm). The Heritage Centre and MacDiarmada House will be closed on the following dates; Fri 23 & Sat 24 Sept and for the month of October.
Corranmore, Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim
Car park with spaces for two buses. Public toilets.